Sunday, August 01, 2010

What are we working with here?

During our orphanage visits with Grant, I remember thinking that we had a lot of work to do when we got home. Exactly what we were working with was difficult to determine. He still hadn't smiled or shown much emotion but sadness. He didn't play. If you put him down, he would not move until you physically moved him. He didn't make any sounds or say any words. He was silent with the exception of the crying he did initially. Yes, his medical diagnoses were scary. He was small at birth, possibly premature, severe pneumonia and 5 weeks in the hospital for treatment. There were some cerebral diagnosis that appeared there was a lack of oxygen to the brain at some point; add on to that a heart murmur and you've got a scary situation. I remember emailing mom saying that I thought we were headed for a lot of therapy and doctor's visits when we came home.

 Eric was always positive that Grant was just fine, or at least, that is what he had me believe. He was such a beautiful baby though. And considering the fact that he was all mine, I would take him with whatever issues he had. However, I really was a little scared. As the days wore on, he became less and less stiff when I was holding him, but always resting his cheek against mine. It would literally melt my heart and my heart was finally on the mend.


We did see "Y" several times after our decision not to adopt him. He would walk out of his line of friends and try to come to us. The nannies would pull him back into line. He looked bewildered and confused, but he did not cry for us. He was obedient to his nannies. I still feel guilt and regret for what the director and doctors did to ALL of us. It could have been avoided had they been truthful and also if they hadn't immediately told the child that we were his parents. I think they probably were really hoping to place him in a loving home, but they went about it all wrong.

Last post was about our quietly leaving the orphanage with Grant on Saturday morning before Eric left for home. Our driver dropped us off so Eric could walk us upstairs to our apartment. The door lady "standing gaurd" at the front entrance stopped us. She went on and on telling our translator something. As we walked upstairs, I asked "Lubo" our translator what she said. Evidently, the woman was completely confused that we took this Kazakh baby instead of one of the Russian babies that would look more like us. She asked if this was the baby we had wanted. Uhhh.....YES!!!! Are you kidding? I was praying for those Asian eyes for an eternity! Honestly, I was kind of offended! It's as if someone looks at your newborn baby and says, "Such a shame! Don't you wish he/she looked differently?"!

Something incredible happened less than a minute after entering our apartment. All of my fears of Grant's cognitive state or lack thereof disappeared in a second! He literally turned into a different child before our eyes in a matter of seconds. The next two pictures were taken within an hour of Grant's arrival in our apartment.



He played happily with cars, he would sneak out of bed and smile coyly, he ate and ate and ate, he played hide and seek, played with empty water bottles, and threw temper tantrum after temper tantrum!!!

Talk about relief! I knew he was going to be okay, and more importantly, I knew I had made the right decision in staying with him in Kazakhstan. Eric was able to see his transformation before heading back downstairs to the car and heading to the airport. The next several weeks would test me in every way imaginable. They would be some of the hardest I have ever gone through. 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather the Lord has created an incredible woman in you. So glad you're ours!

Love Omi

donna said...

I am loving reading about your little Grant. Please keep writing his story this is fascinating to me. I wonder what was the reason for the sudden change in his personality? Do you have a clue?